Cambria City National Historic District
Page 2 of 6
These photographs, which were taken in modern Cambria City (from 2004-2006), contain many clues that reveal how its earlier immigrant residents lived. As you walk through the streets or browse through the photos, look for ways ethnic groups banded together to make a life in their new home: traditions, events, organizations, or places to help new immigrants feel like they belonged. Then look for clues to how today's residents keep their heritage alive -- and how they've moved on.
Click on the images below to view a larger image. To help you see as much as possible from these photographs, use the tool "Reading a Photograph."
10. Mayer Building (1908)
410 Eighth Avenue.
This red brick building was originally constructed in 1908 as a slaughter house and sausage factory to supply two meat markets along Broad Street owned by August Mayer.
11. Holy Cross Evangelical Lutheran Church (1932)
711 Chestnut Street.
The Holy Cross congregation was formed in 1914 as part of the Slovak Synod. Originally it held services and formed a school in a remodeled house at 711 Chestnut, building the current church in 1932. The bell in the tower is from the original church. Services were conducted entirely in Slovak until 1938 when both Slovak and English services were offered. The church was constructed entirely by members of the congregation and in simple gothic style.
12. Cambria Fire Hook and Ladder Co (1891)
624 Broad Street.
Cambria City’s first fire company was organized in 1887 by German residents, who built this building sometime after 1891.
Corner of 5th Avenue and Chestnut Street
St. Casimir’s School is on the left with a school bus parked in front. The brown house on corner is 424 Chestnut Street. On the right is the view looking down Chestnut Street towards Johnstown from corner of 5th Avenue. St. Stephen’s Church is in the background on the right.
Roth House (circa 1889)
Corner of Sixth Avenue and Chestnut Street.
Light grey-blue attached house. Jon Casper and Elizabeth Roth immigrated to the United States from Germany in 1964 and he worked for the Cambria Iron Company. In 1871 they purchased this property, but it is unclear if the present structure dates back to the 1870s or the post-Flood era. In 1895, a second structure was added, making it effectively a double-house. The addition served as rental property to families of Cambria Iron workers through the turn of the century.