Education: Johnstown Flood Museum

Johnstown Area Heritage Association
Primary source: Maps

Map of the Path taken by Flood of 1889

From Harpers Weekly, June 1899

Wood engraved topographic map of Conemaugh River and its tributaries, showing Conemaugh Lake before the Flood, June 1889Topographic Map of the Conemaugh Valley, published in June 1889 in Harper's Weekly magazine. Conemaugh Lake in the east was the result of damming South Fork Creek. When the South Fork dam failed on May 31, 1889, the flood wave rushed down the Conemaugh River valley. Click to view a larger image.


About Us | Site Map | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | ©2013 Johnstown Area Heritage Association