Second-Floor Galleries

Mar. 1-Apr. 27 -- Deadly Medicine: Creating the Master Race

This temporary exhibition from the United States Holocaust Memorial Museum is coming to the second-floor galleries of the Heritage Discovery Center.

Deadly Medicine: Creating the Master Race explores the history of the early 20th-century international eugenics movement and the complicity of physicians and scientists in Nazi racial policies. This exhibition challenges us to reflect on the present-day interest in genetic manipulation that promotes the possibility of human perfection.

From 1933 to 1945, Nazi Germany carried out a campaign to “cleanse” German society of people viewed as biological threats to the nation’s “health.” Enlisting the help of physicians and medically trained geneticists, psychiatrists, and anthropologists, the Nazis developed racial health policies that started with the mass sterilization of “hereditarily diseased” persons and ended with the near annihilation of European Jewry.

Deadly Medicine: Creating the Master Race is made possible through the support of The David Berg Foundation, The Blanche and Irving Laurie Foundation, The Lester Robbins and Sheila Johnson Robbins Traveling and Temporary Exhibitions Fund established in 1990, and The Dorot Foundation.

The Blanche Beerman Holocaust Museum Fund of the Community Foundation for the Alleghenies is sponsoring the installation of the exhibition in Johnstown. The Beth Sholom Congregation and David A. Glosser Foundation have also provided support. Program partners include the Cambria County Library System and the Holocaust Center of Pittsburgh. Media sponsors are WJAC and The Tribune-Democrat.

Admission to the exhibition and the entire Heritage Discovery Center will be free on Saturdays during the exhibition’s run.

Deadly Medicine: Creating the Master Race includes multimedia as well as photography. Due to the nature of the subject matter, parental and viewer discretion is advised.

Exhibition images

These photographs of the exhibition are courtesy of Phil Balko.