New immigrants arriving at Ellis Island. At Ellis they will be "processed" before they are allowed to continue their journey to find a new home.
This thread of learning activities for "Through Immigrants' Eyes" at the Johnstown Heritage Discovery Center explores why immigrants came to this area over the years; what they brought with them, and what their dreams were for their lives in America.
We suggest reading through the Teachers' Guide first, then use the links under Student Resources for this Thread as quick access to the learning materials for this theme. Referenced PA Standards are available.
Teachers' Guide for this Thread
Student Resources for this Thread
Before your museum visit
- Peopling Pennsylvania: Push and Pull
- Chart and Timeline of US Immigration, 1821-1990 (PDF version for ease of printing)
- Photograph Galleries
- Museum characters
- Weighing Costs, Risks, and Benefits of Leaving and Staying Behind
- Good-Bye Letter to my Best Friend (PDF for printing ease)
- Move it Out packing list (PDF for printing ease)
During your museum visit
After your museum visit
- What is the American Dream?
- Oral History Interview: Your Family's Dreams - Tools for Hands-On History