Call for entries is open through September 1, 2019.
- The competitive section of the Johnstown Film Festival is open to short films under 30 minutes of any genre that have a tangible connection to Johnstown or western Pennsylvania in theme, location, or personnel (producer, director, actor, etc.). Unsure if your film qualifies? Email Shelley Johansson, festival coordinator.
- Work submitted must be an original work of the individual(s) submitting.
- There is a special submission category for filmmakers age 18 and younger.
- All entries must be submitted via FilmFreeway (click on the button at the bottom of this page to get started).
- A number of works will be selected to be shown as part of the shorts program of the Johnstown Film Festival; the number and location of screenings is at the festival’s discretion.
- Of those selected for inclusion in the festival, cash awards will be given for first, second and third place, as well as the student award. Judging will be done by a festival jury.
- The Johnstown Film Festival will publish on www.johnstownfilmfest.org a list of the films to be screened at the festival on or around September 23, 2019. Award-winning film directors will be notified directly.
- The Johnstown Film Festival reserves the right to use submitted materials for promotional items for the festival.
- The act of submitting a work constitutes acceptance of the guidelines of the Johnstown Film Festival.
- There is a non-refundable application fee of $20; students are charged $10.
Technical submission requirements
A film project is as much a technical process as it is a creative endeavor. Clear picture and legible sound are critical in presenting your message to the viewer. Please read the following technical standards as they apply to the film(s) you wish to submit to the festival.
- Only works not previously submitted to or screened by the Johnstown Film Festival prior to this year will be accepted.
- As producer/director of your film, you are responsible for all copyrighted material appearing in your film. Unlicensed usage of protected images or music can be subject to fines and legal prosecution.
- The deadline for submissions is September 1, 2019.
- Your film must not have been shown to a ticketed commercial audience prior to being submitted. Other film festivals, private screenings, or free showings for cast & crew are acceptable.
Access our entry portal by clicking the button below!