The collections at the Johnstown Flood Museum archives cover a wide variety of items concerning the history of the Greater Johnstown area, including manuscripts, diaries, correspondence, legal papers, memorabilia, photographs, films, maps, drawings, and more. The images below represent a small portion of our collections.
If you are interested in conducting research, please contact JAHA Curator Kaytlin Sumner at firstname.lastname@example.org or (814) 539-1889, extension 314.
This collection includes prints, glass-plate negatives, lantern slides, and stereoviews from several different photographers, including R. A. Bonine, Langill & Darling, Charles Burggraf, E. A. Zimmerman, Ernest Walter Histed, and George Barker.
For more views, see here.
[Photographs above include: Remains of the South Fork Dam; Remains of Woodvale; Debris at the Stone Bridge; Cambria Iron Works]
The collection consists of materials pertaining to Flood victims and survivors, the South Fork Dam, the South Fork Fishing and Hunting Club, the Pennsylvania Railroad, Flood relief, and Flood anniversary events.
[Images above include: South Fork Fishing and Hunting Club receipt; Johnstown Tribune newspaper, June 14, 1889; “That Valley of Tears,” Johnstown Flood sheet music; Invitation from Clara Barton to Johnstown residents for Tea]
This collection consists of photographs and documents covering the Flood of 1936 and its aftermath. (For more information about this Flood, see here.)
[Images above include: D. Mishler and Sons with Railroad Tracks, Dupont; Cars on Clinton St.; Cleanup workers outside Langer Studio, Downtown; National Guard Mess Tent near High school]
Merle Agnello, photographer for The Tribune-Democrat, took a series of photographs documenting the 1977 Flood which are among the best images representing the disaster. The collection also includes official documents, newspapers, scrapbooks, reports, and more. (For more information about this Flood, see here.)
[Images above include: Trailer in Wall of Swank Refractories; House and Church Remains, location unidentified; Water in a Dale Street; Lee Hospital Nurses; Nurse with Amish child.]
The Dwight H. Roberts Papers, donated by Roberts’ granddaughter Mary Adair, primarily consists of diaries, maps, photographs, newspapers, correspondence, and legal papers. These items relate to the Flood of 1889, the Allegheny Portage Railroad, local elections, businesses, transportation systems, the Civil War, and the Roberts and Von Lunen families, as well as extensive research notes and materials pertaining to Forbes Road.
Dwight H. Roberts was a banker, farmer, and local historian. Roberts lost his parents and brother Otis in the 1889 Flood. From 1920-1923 Roberts served as a Cambria County Commissioner.
[Images above include pre-1900s images from the collection.]